- Arrival Time: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: On-site.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by looking for ways to put our volunteers in direct touch with others in our city who are struggling in a variety of ways. This year, we are organizing a gathering at Welcome Inn, a motel in the city where families coming out of homelessness or at risk of being homeless find themselves living for a season. There are often families with children living in this location. Our goal is to meet some of our neighbors we might not otherwise cross paths with and to offer them hope and encouragement in a trying season. When we give our time for the benefit of others in desperate situations, we send the message that they are valuable.
What can I expect?
Volunteers at this site will be:
- Hosting a BBQ with volunteers providing side dishes and desserts to share with Welcome Inn residents.
- Organizing activities for the children living at this location.
What should I bring?
- Be prepared to bring fruit, veggies or baked goods to share with residents, as organized by the project leaders at this site. Closer to the day of service, volunteers at this site will receive a sign-up to organize these donations.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear closed-toe shoes and bring sunscreen and/or a hat if it’s sunny; the BBQ will be held outside and there is no shade at this site.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2023 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Due to several factors, this is not recommended as a family-friendly site for children of elementary kids. Teens can serve with their families.