- Arrival Time: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: On site.
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by partnering with our city in ways that put us in touch with those in Columbia who may be struggling in this season of their lives or who lack the support system needed to thrive. These neighbors may be elderly, single parents, individuals with disabilities, or facing financial instability. Each year, we want to serve in housing managed by the Columbia Housing Authority by sending volunteers into public housing areas, including Bear Creek Family Townhomes. When we give our time for the benefit of others, we send the message that they are valuable.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will likely be working both indoors and outside at Bear Creek:
- Cleaning homes;
- Deep cleaning the community food pantry;
- Spreading mulch on the playground;
- Raking leaves and beautifying the property, and;
- Other projects as identified.
What should I bring?
- Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear closed-toed shoes and bring garden gloves.
- If you have a garden rake, please bring it.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2023 T-shirt!
If you would be willing to be part of a needs drive for those in public housing, please consider bringing any of the following items with you on Saturday the 29th, as we serve together. These items will be distributed to those most in need in this community:
- Hair care (particularly ethnic products)
- Personal hygiene items
- Feminine hygiene items
- Cleaning supplies
- Laundry soap/supplies
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, older children who can assist in this project are welcome to participate.