Most Homes will be Rain or Shine!
However, a few homes are all-outdoor work that may be impacted by the weather on Saturday, depending on how hard it rains. Please watch for an email from [email protected] with updates on your individual site.
- Arrival Time:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: 11:45 – Noon
- Address for serving will be provided in assignment email.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon – 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Lunch site address will be provided in assignment email.
Why are we serving here?
When ForColumbia sends volunteers to the homes of individuals in our community, they are being given an opportunity to love and serve their literal neighbors. We serve at the homes of people in our city who, while they own their property, could use some help to maintain them. We seek in particular to serve our neighbors who are elderly, a single parent, battling health issues, or are disabled. This year we are also adding foster families to this list.
While the yard work we provide may not seem like much when compared to some of the things families face, our desire to give our time and energy to help others is powerful. It sends the message that they are seen and valued. This is why we believe your time will be well-spent serving at one of the 25 residential locations we have identified this year as serving sites for ForColumbia 2022.
What can I expect?
Volunteers at these homes will be working both inside and outdoors on a variety of projects, including:
- Lots of landscaping, planting and mulching;
- Removing debris from yards and building a children’s play area;
- Painting several rooms;
- Organizing rooms/spaces for individuals who are disabled;
- Repairing and staining several porches, back decks and steps to homes;
- Building wheelchair ramps;
- Installing shelving, and more
What should I bring?
- ForColumbia will provide all plants, cleaning/organizing supplies and other materials needed for the work to be done.
- Please consider bringing garden gloves and hand tools, in preparation for working outside. We also encourage sunscreen and/or a hat in case it’s sunny.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear close-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2022 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Many homes provide a great way for you to serve with children, but this is a question we will answer about your specific location, should you be assigned to serve at a home.