Frequently Asked Questions: 2023 Edition
We know with an event like ForColumbia, there are bound to be questions! We have answers. Read below to find out how we’re responding to some of the most frequently asked questions.
What if it rains?
First Stop: Check the home page of the ForColumbia website for updates on the weather and its potential impact on our serving sites.
- Details for each project will be at the top of each Serving Site Page, indexed here: https://forcolumbia.com/sites/
Where’s my T-shirt?
- If you signed up with a partnering church, you will pick your shirt up from your church.
- If you signed up with another organization (college ministry, another group serving together), your shirts will be distributed by the person organizing your efforts.
If you are not affiliated with a church or organization but signed up to join us, you can pick up your shirt at Sonshine Graphics, 2100 East Broadway, Suite 108. The Sonshine Graphics door is located on the side of the building closest to Hinkson Creek. (There is a Sonshine Graphics sign in the window next to the door.)
Plan to pick up your shirt(s) on:
- Friday, April 21st, between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. or
- Saturday, April 22nd, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Can’t make either of these times?
Reach out at [email protected]. We will let you know what other shirt pick-up options are available.
What’s for lunch?
We have multiple food vendors providing meals for us this year!
Depending on site assignment, volunteers will be getting a meal from Chick-Fil-A, Jersey Mike’s, Como Smoke and Fire, or 12 Baskets. Some volunteers will attend a neighborhood BBQ.
If you have food allergies or require a special diet, we ask that you plan to bring food for yourself.
- While we’d love to accommodate special requests, with 1,900+ volunteers and 100+ serving sites, this is not logistically possible.
I signed my child up for childcare. What now?
- You should have received an email outlining details for childcare on Saturday morning.
- If you have not received this email, please reach out to [email protected] and we will get back to you ASAP!
What should I bring?
If you’re serving outside:
- Garden gloves.
- Sunscreen or a hat.
- Bug spray.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Water bottle.
- Site leaders will also be providing water as well.
- If you have common yard tools such as a shovel, leaf or garden rake, or hand trowels, consider throwing those into your vehicle as well. Label them clearly with your name.
If you are serving inside, your site leader will let you know if there are items to bring.
I don’t know where I’m serving.
You will receive an assignment email with details about your serving site and site leader no later than Sunday, April 22nd.
- If you don’t receive your assignment information by Sunday, email us at [email protected] as soon as possible. We’ll let you know where you are assigned.
What should I do if I can no longer serve?
If your plans have changed, email [email protected] immediately.
While we have over 1,900 volunteers, every single person is assigned to a specific site. Accordingly, we definitely need your participation.
- We are relying on you to show up and serve.
- As a result, if too many people don’t show up and we are not aware, someone will not get the help they need.
I heard there is a party on Friday night?!
You heard correctly!
Party in the Park is happening on Friday evening, April 28th, at Douglass Park on N. Providence Road. We are excited to see you and lots of other volunteers as we kick off ForColumbia 2023.
- From 4:30-6:30 p.m., join us for free food from food trucks, kids’ activities, and an outdoor dance party.
- If you have a ForColumbia T-shirt from a previous year, wear it! Snap a picture with friends!
- Use #ForColumbia2023 on our social media channels Friday night and all day Saturday.