This Site May be Impacted by Rain.
- Arrival Time: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Oak Tower, 700 N. Garth Ave., Columbia, MO 65203
Why are we serving here?
ForColumbia’s mission – to bring Christians together to love and serve our neighbors – puts us in touch with those in Columbia we might not otherwise meet. Over the years, our goal has been to go into neighborhoods annually, and look for ways to love and serve those neighbors. This year, we are partnering with the City of Columbia, First Ward Neighborhood Association and other stakeholders who want to city our city flourish, by prepping this empty lot to be transformed into what will be an attractive green space/mobility park for the many elderly residents in the neighborhood. This is Phase 1 of a multi-phase effort between the city, the First Ward Neighborhood Association, ForColumbia, and other interested parties. When we give our time for the benefit of others, we send the message that they are valuable.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be serving outside:
- Clearing a large amount of honeysuckle and other invasive plants among the trees, and hauling yard waste to the parking lot where it can be picked up;
- power washing and/or painting a concrete walkway, to prep it for a large mural to be painted later this summer, and
- other potential work as identified.
What should I bring?
We encourage you to bring garden gloves and any pruning shears you may have for cutting down honeysuckle.
Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing bug spray, sunscreen and/or a hat.
All volunteers should wear close-toed shoes.
Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2022 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, this is a great location to serve as a family with elementary-aged kids who can help!