- Arrival Time: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Oak Tower, 700 N. Garth Ave. 65203
Why are we serving here?
ForColumbia’s mission – to bring Christians together to love and serve our neighbors – puts us in touch with those in Columbia we might not otherwise meet. Over the years, our goal has been to go into neighborhoods annually and look for ways to love and serve those neighbors. This year, we are partnering with the City of Columbia, First Ward Neighborhood Association, and other stakeholders who want our city to flourish, by prepping this empty lot to be transformed into what will be an attractive green space/mobility park for the many elderly residents in the neighborhood. This is Phase 2 of a multi-phase effort between the city, the First Ward Neighborhood Association, Columbia Housing Authority, ForColumbia, and other interested parties. When we give our time for the benefit of others, we send the message that they are valuable.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be serving outside, clearing undergrowth on the property and preparing certain areas for planting.
What should I bring?
- We encourage you to bring garden gloves and any pruning shears you may have for cutting down honeysuckle.
- Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing bug spray, sunscreen and/or a hat.
- All volunteers should wear closed-toed shoes and consider wearing long pants.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2023 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, this is a great location to serve as a family with elementary-aged kids! Families will serve together as a unit.