- Arrival Time: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: Welcome Home, next door!
Why are we serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by partnering with our city in ways that put us in touch with the more marginalized individuals within Columbia. This year, we are serving significantly in housing managed by the Columbia Housing Authority by sending hundreds of volunteers into public housing areas, including Patriot Place, housing specifically for our nation’s veterans. We are cleaning up neighborhoods and organizing landscaping and other beautification projects, providing opportunities for individuals to connect and work alongside each other. When we give our time for the benefit of others, we send the message that they are valuable.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be work inside and outdoors at this site:
- Helping veterans clean their apartments;
- Install shelving in the CHA office for storing common supplies;
- Landscaping and planting flowers around a memorial flag garden;
- Weeding and prepping gardens used by the veterans;
- Visiting with and praying with the residents, and:
- Other projects as identified.
What should I bring?
- Come prepared to work outside; if sunny, we encourage you to consider bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- We encourage all volunteers to wear closed-toed shoes.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia20123 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
Yes, children who can assist in this project are welcome to participate!