- Arrival Time:
- Morning Volunteers: 8:45-9:00 a.m.
- Afternoon Volunteers: Noon.
- Lunch for Volunteers:
- Time: Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Location: On-site.
Why am I serving here?
One of the ways ForColumbia strives to love and serve our neighbors is by serving those non-profit organizations that are actively working every day in the lives of people in Columbia. City of Refuge is one of those organizations, working with refugees and immigrants arriving in mid-Missouri, to equip them with practical needs as well as deeper friendships they can count on as they assimilate into their new lives in the United States.
Having just moved their efforts to a new location on Garth Avenue, this non-profit could use a lot of helping hands this year, and we’re delighted to help prepare their space so they can open a daycare for refugee families in need of help with their children.
What can I expect?
Volunteers will be working inside and outdoors:
- Clearing a building of lots of extra furniture and unwanted items, in preparation for its renovation into a daycare for refugee families;
- Painting furniture;
- Organizing donations for Boutique Store and a “needs” closet;
- Landscaping, including removal of large bushes and repair of a retaining wall, and;
- Other projects as identified.
What should I bring?
- We encourage all volunteers to wear closed-toed shoes; as well as clothing you are comfortable painting in.
- Though a lot of the work planned here is inside, be prepared for a sunny day by bringing sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Be sure to wear your #ForColumbia2023 T-shirt!
Can I serve here with my children?
This is a family-friendly site in the morning. In the afternoon, the work shifts to more heavy labor and higher skill. Families with children are welcome to serve together in the AM. We do ask that children not be allowed to paint.